Das Hotel Mohren von früher
Das Hotel Mohren von früher
double room with flair
double room with flair
double room with living area
double room with living area
English › Hotel

First Inn of its Time

The Mohren Hotel located on the Marktplatz in Oberstdorf is the oldest inn in the upper village. As early as 500 years ago, in 1478, the house was referred to for the first time as "Taferne beyr Kirchen".

Within the last five centuries, the house, which is now a hotel, has witnessed a great deal: the Oberstdorf Peasant Revolt in 1605 when the ringleader Jerg Erb, "the landlord" and his step-son Thoma Gerstlin were forced to flog their goods and move away on March 26, 1611.

Admittedly, the two men from the Oberallgaeu region were pardoned two years later, but only on the condition "that they would never again carry any weapons". One record dating back to December 8, 1657 mentions the "Mohren landlord" Ulrich Prutscher. In November of 1682, Tobias Brutscher reported that he had an ancient pub in which he wanted to establish a brewery inn.

Following the Great Fire of 1865, Jacob Hannes, the Mohren landlord at that time, rebuilt the hotel. The basement with its vaulted cellar roofs was spared by the fire. We still use one of these cellars today as a wine cellar and tavern.
In 1875, one of the oldest pictures of the hotel on the marketplace was painted. In the thirties, the hotel served as an accommodation for high ranking Party members and the Wehrmacht, and during the war years, it served first as a hospital and later as a camp for children and refugees who had been bombed out of their homes in Munich.

In the fifties, the great period of the Grand Mohren Hotel began when it advanced to become the first house in the village. All rooms were equipped with double doors and private bathrooms as well as a telephone. Every floor had its own room waiter who could be called by the press of a button. The restaurant and the café were decorated with a lot of plush, mirrors and large chandeliers. The hotel had its own three-person band who stroke up a dance every day.

The guests, who at that time were mostly well-to-do vacationers seeking relaxation from all over Germany and neighboring European countries, were treated to the best products from the kitchen and cellar.

In the seventies and eighties, the hotel’s reputation started to crumble. Several other modern hotels were erected in Oberstdorf, and the owner of the house at that time greatly hesitated to invest - the guests stayed away. The present owners took over the hotel in 1991. This change of owners paved the way for complete renovation and the planning could begin. In 1993, the owners found leaseholders, the Reisigl family and the Brandt family. Renovation started in April 1994, and on December 17, 1994, Mohren Hotel was then reopened in a new splendor. Since then, the number of Mohren fans has constantly increased and today our hotel is a fixed landmark of significance within the Oberstdorf hotel landscape.